
Collage is a publication showcasing student artwork at Middle Tennessee State University, from photography to poetry and everything in between, so being able to join these great artists is seriously cool to me.
But here's something that threw me for a loop. Not only is this my first time being published, I also won the Creative Expression award! Woah. Still trying to wrap my head around it. Chris won this award for his street photography in the previous issue.

Untitled, Click to view larger
This image almost didn't exist. Chris and I were on a photo date at the Nashville state fair and this guy was just running a novelty photo booth, smoking his pipe. I asked for his photo, snapped a few and moved on shooting other things. I had been having mechanical issues with the film camera and for some reason, something felt wrong.
After I loaded a new roll of film, I still had that agonizing feeling and went back to ask this man for his photograph once more. He seemed pretty annoyed that I was wasting his time and money.. but man I'm so glad I did. The other few shots were indeed lost and this one was the first shot on the new roll.
MTSU friends, make sure you pick up a copy of Collage! It's full of creative work that'll blow you away. If you aren't around here, you can view the digital copy here.
Here are some recommended photo books if you are interested in the street photography style. Vivian Maier: Street Photographer and Mitch Epstein's The City.
Adjust the width of the left column...
ReplyDelete